Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Take: Urban 6

As my beloved has weighed in on Urban 6, I felt I could take this opporunity as well to give my opinion on the newly released Urban 6 vinylmation so people can see how we are the same and how we differ.  Without further ado, here goes:

The Keepers:
CACTUS:  Maria Clapsis does it again.  I love this design.  Not only does the layout work, what with the body as the cactus and the feet as the pot, it has an owl peeking out of his hole in the back.  Owls are cute and awesome and great. 
L33T SPEAK:  I know Amanda doesn't like this one, but I think the idea is cute and the placement of the various codes is clever.  That being said, I do enjoy the clear variant much better.  Either way, I'd keep it.
SUNDAE:  I'm a big fan of the food vinyls.  Ice cream, cheese, pop corn, they work and are very fun.
ZIPPER:  I don't like it as much as the rest of the Urban 6 I think are keepers, but...they're something cool in this simple design.  I like the shiny silver on black.  It really stands out.  I would still trade it if I found something from a Park series, but if I had an extra I wouldn't be too upset.
BEE:  Weird.  It is weird.  However, the composition is very creative and that wins points in my book.  The clear arms as the wings is truly inspired. 
GRIFFON:  Man I love this thing.  Not only does it fit the Mickey shape perfectly, but it uses the Mushu tail from animation.  Not to mention it looks like a baby griffon from World of Warcraft.  Cute cool and original. 

So those are the ones I like.  Sure, the Cactus and Griffon are the only ones I would actually consider big wants, but there are good qualities about half the series.  That being said-

Get rid of them:
CRY BABY:  ugh.  This one doesn't look horrible, but it's very plain and something about it annoys me.  Maybe it's my own hatred of children.
NATURE CYCLE:  Just...just boring.  Maybe it's me and I don't get it, but nothing stands out on this piece. 
SIDE MOUSE:  I...What?  What is this?  What was the artist going for?  All i see is a face haphazardly thrown on a figure and it looks as grotesque as those horrible big eyes.  The artist might have had something great in mind, but the final result just doesn't look right.
SUMO:  the placement on the Mickey works, but the face is just hideous.  I actually might have liked this one if the face looked different. 
SUNNY DAY:  This one just doesn't do it for me.  A little too cutesy, and not in the cool stylized way of the Cutesters, Too.  Kinda bland when you compare it to the awesome SMORE figure from that set. 
GREEN THUMB:  This figure looks like it was severed, left to grow gangrene and disgusting, and sent to you by a mafia boss.  Opening the box and seeing this is like waking up with a horse's head in your bed.

So, that's my take.

-Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment